During our last two days in Sri Lanka, I had the opportunity to take two boat safaris or tours in the southern part of the island. One of them was on Koggala Lake, east of Galle, with Malgosia and Wojtek, the other one was on Madu River, west of Galle, with Dorota and Ewa.
Here are ten highlights of both trips:
- admiring mangrove trees along the lake and river:
3. looking for Asian water monitors, varanus salvator, large lizards native to South and Southeast Asia:
4. looking for birds:
5. meeting local fishermen:
6. looking for Hindu temples on tiny islands:
7. visiting islands inhabited by Buddhist monks:
with 300-year-old temples:
8. getting to know what balsa tree and fruit looks like. Balsa tree wood is used in Sri Lanka for production of their traditional masks.
9. becoming familiar with cinnamon production on Cinnamon Islands:
10. realizing how wonderful this world is: